Life at 1572: Glitter Pumpkins

Glitter Pumpkins


A long time ago I watched Martha Stewart do a craft project that included glitter on pumpkins for a fall decoration. I fell in love with this idea. Then a few years ago I was at my Grandma's house, and she had these fake fruit pears that were covered in glitter as her table centerpiece. They were beautiful, and she received many compliments on them.


Well, the other day we were going to take Jack to this Starbucks that has a water splash pad for kids outside. Fun water play for him, and yummy coffee for us. Then he started to seem like he was coming down with something so we scratched that idea. So, of course instead we drove to Michael's craft store because that is the next logical choice. Why I drag my husband there I don't know. You would think I would learn my lesson. I want to spend forever in there, and after a few minutes he is begging to leave.


I have been wanting to go to the craft store so that I can pick up some kind of fall decorations. Living in southern California I really miss the changing of the leaves. I had my heart set on making a fall wreath, but in the end it seemed like to would be more cost effective to just buy one already made. While I roamed around Zach, scared the living daylights out of our son with all of the Halloween stuff they had.


I came upon the Martha Stewart section, and I spotted the glitter. Instantly, I knew I wanted to make something with glitter. I was going to duplicate the glitter pears, but the pears were pretty costly, and I didn't know if they would turn out right. So, I settled on a fake pumpkin to test things out on. I had fun making my glitter pumpkin, and I was pleased with how it turned out. I want to try to find a few smaller ones to add to it.
Craft Supplies:
  • Martha Stewart Glitter or any type of fine glitter. I use Fire Opal
  • Glue-I used Aleene's original tacky glue
  • paint sponge
  • real or craft pumpkin
Paint half of the pumpkin with glue. Working on newspaper or a paper plate use a spoon to sprinkle the glitter onto the pumpkin. Let it dry for a few hours. Repeat steps to the other side of the pumpkin. It was recommended to paint the stems with brown paint, or use brown glitter. I just left mine alone. I used a craft pumpkin so that it will last me a few seasons. I haven't decided if it needs some sort of clear sealant.

5 comments:

Michelle Leigh said...

That is beautiful! I just might have to go make some myself! I bet the girls would love that!

Thanks for the great idea!

The Swigarts said...

that turned out really nice! I might have to try that too!

Singell Family said...

How cute. What a good idea! You could do it for any holiday really. I may just go buy a big Santa and cover him in glitter!!

Anonymous said...

Looks good, but remember glitter is like the Xmas tree needles -- it is hard to clean up & you will find it for awhile afterwards!!

oooxxx

Debra Gilbert said...

Great job Amy! It is so much more fun to make stuff than to buy it ready made! Thanks for sharing, I love keeping up with you and your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...